Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Your Tongue

I'm sure we have all heard how important it is to hold our tongue and  that you can really hurt someone with words.  As kids we all use to say: "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me."  I know I use to say it, but in all honesty the words do hurt.  They may not break your bones but they can break your spirit.  Those words can leave bruises so deep that I call them soul bruises.  You know the hurt you had when you were a child and someone brings up or states it when you are grown.  The pain that instantly throws you back to your childhood and leaves you wanting to run from it.  Maybe it's not from your childhood, but a bad relationship. I have several soul bruises but through God's grace I am being healed.  Words do hurt and that's why we are instructed as Christians to guard our tongues.  "He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity."  Psalm 21:23  There are times we say things before we think, and we end up hurting someone.  Other times we think about what we are going to say and know exactly how it will effect the other person, and rightfully so.  You can be a "good" person and still have an untamed tongue.  The tongue is a small part of the human body, but consider a rope tied to a tree and a swing.  The rope seems to be small but you don't notice the fraying middle.  As you start to swing the ropes starts unraveling, and the faster  you swing the fast it unravels. The rope snaps and caused you to fall.  You may not be hurt badly but you are stunned from the fall.   Your tongue is the same, you can unravel a relationship with a few hurtful words all because you didn't take a moment to think.  You are so worked up about something you speak faster and faster and unknowingly or maybe knowingly snap the rope that  holds your relationship together.  James tells us that the tongue may be small but how quickly does a small spark cause a forest fire?  "Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark."  James 3:5  We need to realize that we can not tame our tongues, but we can ask God to guide our words. "but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison." James 3:8  Instead of using our tongues to hurt others we need to use them to encourage others.  The best way to guard your tongue is to stay in the word and sing God's praises.  We need to speak what is rightful and true.  We should keep from speaking lies and hurtful things just like the Psalmist says,"keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies." Psalm 34:13  There are times when we are being tested, especially by a loved one but we must keep in mind what we reply back can break them.  We need to love others no matter how bad they hurt us.  After all how often do we hurt God but still receive his blessings and love?  For me, it's daily and I'm thankful that He loves me even when I hurt him.  This is what I strive to show others around me but more importantly show my kids.  I do not want to break them or cause soul bruises that they will have to deal with for the rest of their lives.  My prayer for today is that I guard my tongue and speak of His righteousness.  "My tongue will speak of your righteousness and of your praises all day long." Psalm 35:28  Until next time may God Bless you and Keep you.
*Bible verses are take from NIV Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment