Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Martyr

I, like you, have heard the word martyr a lot.  I have heard it in church and outside of church, but what exactly does it mean.  I heard martyr used in a different way than what I am used to hearing it during Bible study and wanted to know more.  I took a moment to look up the word on dictionary.com.  I can give you the definition that I have heard in church but I want to be correct.  I found four definitions but two stand out.  The first definition of a martyr is a person who willingly suffers death rather than renounce his or her religion.  When I think of this meaning, which I have heard in church, my mind turns to Stephen the first martyr of the church.  "While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." Acts 7:59  Stephen was a great leader of the church and follower of Jesus Christ.  Stephen was accused of blasphemy and was stoned to death.  He stood strong in his faith and belief that Jesus Christ is the son of God.  Stephen did not back down even when he was pressured by others.  He did not turn his back on God when they started stoning him.  I pray that I will always stand strong in my faith and that I would not deny my Lord and savior, no matter the situation.  I want to stand strong and be courageous like God told Joshua.  "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9  I, too, if ever faced with renouncing my God or face death want to be like Stephen and pray for those who persecute me and welcome my death knowing I will be received in heaven. 
   I do not want to be like the fourth definition I found of martyr.  The fourth definition of martyr on dictionary.com says a person who seeks sympathy or attention by feigning or exaggerating pain, deprivation, etc.  How different can this meaning be from the first?  A martyr in this sense wants you to feel sorry for them for the pain they are going through.  Not only do they want you to feel sorry for them but they exaggerate the pain so you will be sure to know how bad their pain or situation is and give sympathy.  This definition reminds me of a child who learns that if they fall and cry someone will quickly come to them.  So what does that child do they next time they want something or fall and want the attention of an adult?  They start crying, how fast children learn these things surprises me, but adults do this too.  There are people who want the negative in their life brought to every one's attention so they can get sympathy.  Please hear me, I'm not saying that you shouldn't share your struggles.  We are told to do so and to carry others burdens, but we are not to exaggerate what we are going through.  Life is hard and we all go through hard times.  We depend on others and others depend on us, that's why God gave us family and friends.  This is not meant to judge, but instead to open my eyes and hopefully yours on what a martyr is.  I didn't realize there are two definitions that were so different.  As I go about my day I pray that I am like Stephen, a man; well woman in my case, full of faith. (Acts 6:5)  Which definition of martyr do you want to be?  Until next time may God Bless you and Keep you.

No comments:

Post a Comment