Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Missions/outreach

I want to start today off by saying that all my previous posts and ones from this day forward reflect only my thoughts. Most of my posts have been things that I struggle with. I do not intend to come off as preaching a sermon or as a Bible scholar. I have the schooling of neither a pastor or Biblical theologian. I pray before I write, ask for God's guidance, and pray after I write. I struggle just like everybody else, so when I'm writing, I am talking to myself and hopefully it's useful for you too.
  Mission/Outreach has been on my heart pretty heavy lately. I have never been on a mission trip and would like to go on one. I would really like to start doing more mission work here in the town I live in. We are called as Christians, as the body of Christ, to do work for God. We need to get out there and see what needs are in our community and start meeting those needs. Not only can you help other Christians but you can help nonbelievers and through Christ bring them to know him as their savior.  "Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few." Matthew 9:37  I live in a small town, and I know there are a lot of people at home when I go to church. I can't say they are nonbelievers but I can say if they are then I need to be reaching them. I want all people to know the glory of God, I have been given a gift and I want to share it. There is a stirring in my heart to get started, get moving, but I often answer back how. I have thought of a few ideas and have shared with others including my pastor. I hope that if you have this same burning in your soul that you will do the same. James tells us in chapter two that we should be doing good deeds.
"14 What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? 15 Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food.16 If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.18 But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do." James 2:14-18
  I know God can and will do great things. The hard part is getting out of my comfort zone and moving on with what I know He is calling me to do. "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me." John 14:1 I am taking this as, do not meditate on my feelings, instead trust in God. By trusting in God I am able to let go of my feelings and do great things for him. Starting today, I will step out of my comfort zone and start the works that God has called me to do. I want to challenge you to start something in your community. It may be small, that's ok, you can't expect to start big. As long as God is in what you're doing it will show and great things will come from it. So let's follow in the disciples footsteps: "The disciples went and did as Jesus had instructed them." Matthew 21:6 Will you step out of your comfort zone and find something you can do? Just listen to that small voice, and He will tell you where he wants you. Go, even if your friends aren't. Until next time may God Bless you and Keep you.
*Bible verses taken from NIV Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment