Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012

Temptation

"After finishing every temptation, the devil departed from him until the next opportune time." Luke 4:13

   Good morning, and blessings to you.  I hope you had a wonderful weekend.  I did and we are blessed with cooler weather here in Texas.  I am so thankful for that.  Yesterday I was outside studying the Bible; enjoying the cool air on my front porch, when I came across the verse above, Luke 4:13.  I have heard this verse and I've read it several times before.  I had an "aha" moment though and I want to share it with you today. 
   We have heard and read numerous times that Jesus was tempted by the devil when he went into the wilderness to pray.  He fasted for forty days and nights.  We see that the devil wanted Jesus to use his powers to turn stone into bread, praise him, and to jump from the highest temple and have the angels save Him.  The rebuttal Jesus gave the devil every time was scripture.  The same scripture we have today to battle the devil.  Throughout the Bible we are told to pray, and to stay alert because Satan is ready to attack.  1 Peter 5:8 says, "Be alert and of sober mind.  Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."  We can never assume that we are safe from the devil to tempt us.  The last part of Luke 4:13 was my "aha" moment.  I'm sure I have heard it over and over but it didn't sink in until yesterday afternoon.  It says that the devil left Jesus alone until the next opportunity.  So, if I read that correctly, that means the devil was planning on tempting Jesus again.  If the devil was that set on tempting the son of God, the only perfect human to walk this earth, then why in the world would I ever think the devil will eventually leave me alone.  He will leave me alone as long as I keep turning to God, but it's a guarantee he will come back to tempt me.  That is why it is important to be alert, not because the devil might tempt you but because he is waiting for the most opportune time to tempt you.  He sees you struggling and growing weak in your faith.  He knows when you are slipping and are about to fall. That's when he will pounce on you.  The devil does not like us to pray. He will convince you that you don't need to pray.  He does not like you to go to church.  He will try to convince you that you don't need to go to church.  He does not like you to go to Bible studies.  He will try to convince you that they are not important.  The devil does not want you to fellowship with other Christians, and he will convince you otherwise.  That my friends is why we need to ,"watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation.  The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak." Matthew 26:41  As you start your week be alert and watch for these things, and remember this verse: "No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind.  And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.  But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way so that you can endure it."  1 Corinthians 10:13  Jesus knows what you struggle with, turn your struggles over to him before the devil uses them against you. He's waiting and will tempt you today, tomorrow or next month but keep praying and turning to God. Until next time may God Bless and Keep you.
* Bible verses used are from NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment