Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Judging Others

My apologies for a late start again this morning.  I am trying to get use to a new routine and so I find myself not quite sure when I'll get to write.  We often find ourselves looking at people and making assumptions about them.  Before you say no I don't, let me give a few examples....if you are in a store and someone walks by covered in dirt you probably think one of two things.  They either work outside as a living or they haven't washed clothes...right?  How about the lady driving the newest BMW?  Does it make it better or worse that she is driving and putting make up on...and the light just turned green?  But that's not judging....is it?  When does it become harmful?  Let's take a look...
   "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." Matthew 7:1-2 These two verses speak volumes.  If we judge then expect to be judged.  Ok, so the things I listed above doesn't seem too harmful.  What if we decided to act on our own judgment?  If we decide to be rude to the person in dirty clothes just because they smell from making a living, then it is becoming harmful.  How about we take it a step further and they are in the parking lot needing assistance but we chose to ignore them because they are dirty and smell and probably just looking for a hand out.  Ouch, what did we just do?  Let's take the lady in the BMW...thanks to her you are now running late to that appointment.  You finally pass her and get to your appointment but not without explaining the problem.  On your way home there is a BMW on the side of the road...it's the same lady as earlier.  You fly right on by thinking that's what she gets, besides she has money if she can buy one of those fancy cars.  Another ouch!!  By no means are either judgments major but when we act on our own motives without seeking God's view of these people we error.  The only person who can judge and judge correctly is God.  These are common things that everyone does and I personally try not to fall victim to but do.  God sees each of us as equals and loves all of us the same. "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned.  Forgive, and you will be forgiven." Luke 6:37
     There are times when we judge others and it deals with major decisions like divorce, children out of wedlock, homosexuals, handling of death or birth of family members.  The best thing to remember is we don't know the whole story, no matter how much we think we know.  You haven't walked in that persons shoes or know the situation. "So when you, a mere human being, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God's judgment?" Romans 2:3  Most people are doing the best they can.  Some know God and rely fully on His guidance...others do not.  Remember we are called to let our light shine and when we let our human emotions get in the way our light is dimmed.  So today, as you go about your life ask God to give you his eyes.  To see people the way He sees them, and to treat them as He treats you. "For God does not show favoritism." Romans 2:11  My prayer for myself today is that I guard my thoughts closely and see people as only God can see them.  I ask that God will help me to not show favoritism but to accept all walks of life.  Until next time may God Bless you and Keep you.

1 comment:

  1. This post spoke volumes to me. Just earlier this morning I was having a conversation about some extended family members. I was definitely having a judgmental attitude and even though my comments were out of concern, the comments were not said in love but with bitterness and condemnation. My human emotions were definitely dimming my light. I pray going forward I can see things as God sees it and not let myself get in the way. Thanks for being willing to share what God's laying upon your heart! Dawn

    ReplyDelete