Pages

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Friendship

"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:12-13
     Isn't it funny how we want to grow up when we are kids and once we are grown we realize what we wished away.  Without realizing it, part of my wishing as a kid was wishing away my friends.  I married and making friends seemed like a thing from my childhood. I made a few friends here and there for the first few years of my marriage but no one that stuck with me or me to them.  I began to wonder if God wanted me to have friends.  I felt like I was being punished or maybe something was wrong with me....OK....my friends I know what you're thinking...watch it! :) I want to share some verses from Proverbs with you.
     " A righteous man is cautious in friendship, but the way of the wicked leads them astray." Proverbs 12:26
    "He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffer harm." Proverbs 13:20
    "Do not make friends with a hot-tempered man, do no associate with one easily angered, or you may learn his ways and get yourself ensnared." Proverbs 22:24-25
 Obviously, there is a reason it's hard to make friends.  The Bible tells us to be cautious when choosing friends.  So without realizing what was going on I think God was protecting me.  I am happy to say that since I started attending Bible study God has blessed me with new friends.  Friends are a blessing from God and shouldn't be taken for granted.  They will help get you through the tough times and be there during the fun times.  I thank God for my friends.  Like all relationships there will be struggles but I invite you to consider this verse: "Wounds from a friend can be trusted but an enemy multiplies kisses." Proverbs 27:6  How can a friend who hurt you possibly be trusted?  I say think about what the hurt is and consider if they were trying to help you, maybe it was unintentional, or purposeful.  If it's the first two take time to reflect and let go of the hurt.  If it's the last one, maybe it's time to consider if they were truly a friend to begin with.  I treasure each of my friends.  Each one brings a new perspective to my life and I gain so much from them.  Take the time to let your friends know how much they mean to you.  Remember this verse when you are struggling with a friend: " A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity." Proverbs 17:7  May we all be blessed with friends that we would lay down our lives for.  Until next time may God Bless you and Keep you.

No comments:

Post a Comment