Pages

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Be Quiet

“The LORD will fight for you; you must be quiet.” Exodus 14:14

Be Quiet! How many times as a kid did someone tell you to be quiet? Why was it said? Did they tell you so they could talk, or maybe you were being too loud? Was it to keep you from saying or doing something you weren’t supposed to?

I had my fair share of being told to be quiet and telling others to be quiet. Now, as a parent I usually tell my kids to be quiet to either keep them from saying something they shouldn’t or because they are too loud. Has God ever told you to be quiet? Kind of a weird question, I know, but has He? Could God be telling you to be quiet to keep you from saying or doing something that you’re not supposed to do? I don’t mean it as in if you do it you’re going to get in trouble, but in the instance of He’s not ready for you to do that yet or say that yet. The Bible verse above says we need to be quiet and God will fight for us. Depending on your translation, it could say be still instead of be quiet. In this instance I believe the point is to wait on the Lord and let Him fight for you. If we act or speak before we are supposed to it could cause a problem. So, shouldn’t it be that if we act or speak before God wants us to there could be a problem?

I ask these questions, mainly because that’s where I am at right now. I want to do something so badly, but I am impatiently waiting on the Lord to move first. Yes, I said impatiently because Kim Hardy and patient are not usually used in the same sentence…especially when I want something. :) This past week as I finished up work and I stopped to pray something happened that has never happened before. I thanked God for the quiet room and began to pray. Instead of praying, I felt Him tell me to be quiet. So, I waited a few minutes and started to pray, again God told me to be quiet. I sat in silence, waiting so I could pray and finish out my day. I started to pray one last time and again I heard be quiet. I finally gave in and just sat in the quiet room, listening to the silence and waiting for God to speak to me. Only, He didn’t speak to me. We both just sat in silence and oddly enough, after I felt like I had sat long enough I got up and walked out and felt at peace. I didn’t get answers and I didn’t get to ask for help for myself or others, but God knows my heart and for that day that’s all that mattered. Sometimes we need to just be quiet and enjoy it. We are so busy and we want things NOW, but waiting on the Lord is the better route to go. The next time you say, “Be quiet” or you are told to be quiet consider why you are saying it or being asked that. Are you too busy to enjoy the quiet and realize His plans and timing are far better than yours? Can you hear Him when He speaks to you? SHHHH, He’s with you right now…can you sit quietly and wait? Until next time, “May Yahweh bless you and protect you.” (Numbers 6:24, HCSB)

*Bible verses taken from HCSB

No comments:

Post a Comment