Pages

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Masquerade

“Better to be ordinary and work for a living than act important and starve in the process.” (Proverbs 12:9 The Message)
Why do we walk around with a mask on? Are we participants in a masquerade ball minus the fancy clothes? Do we truly see ourselves the way that we present ourselves? Why is it so hard to just be you? This is not something that is a struggle from just the modern age. From the beginning of time people have been masquerading. Before I go any further let me tell you what masquerade means. According to Google masquerade means a false show or pretense or to pretend to be someone one is not.
On a daily basis we do not wear a mask to hide who we are, at least not a physical mask. Most often, and yes, I’m speaking about myself; we interact with people on a neutral level. We tend to be “politically or religiously” correct depending on where we are and who we are with. I’m not purposely pretending to be someone else, but I am trying to be accepted. This in its self is a whole different topic. I think we tend to wear a mask for several reasons and it may be one reason today and another reason tomorrow. My thoughts on this are as follows: 1) We want to be accepted. 2) We haven’t realized who we are. 3) To purposely hurt others. 4) To gain accolades from others.
As long as we are human we will have a desire to be accepted. The hard part is remembering who we should truly be accepted by. We are not here to be accepted by others, but to glorify God. God accepts you, no matter how far off the straight and narrow you have gone, God will meet you right where you are. The second reason can throw some people. By not realizing who you are it’s hard to not wear a mask. My pastor this morning said something that I’m going to use here. He said, “We are all kings and queens.”  Paraphrasing here, we are kings and queens because we are children of God, the King of kings. Am I saying we should all buy fancy clothes and walk around with our noses stuck in the air? NO! I am saying, if we accepted who we really are in Christ we wouldn't want to masquerade around. I’ll be honest, I know who I am in Christ and yet I still walk around with my mask half covering my face most of the time. I read a post on Facebook earlier today that really sums up this point. “The devil doesn't want you to know who you are because you might start acting like it.” If we, as Christians, started acting like true heirs to the thrown there is nothing that could stop us, and that my friends, scares the devil. I can honestly say, I do not wear a mask to purposely hurt others, but there are people out there who do. Many times people masquerade to gain accolades from others. People want the pat on the back for a job well done or maybe even to pretend to be a different type of person than they are for the reputation.
Most of the time my biggest struggle is wanting to do good, but being too afraid to step out and do it. This is a very broad statement, but either I’m too afraid of what others will think or just ignore that still small voice that tells me to do it. I find that I want to do good, but still do bad things. Again this is another broad statement. I don’t steal or murder, but a sin is a sin. Paul says it very well, in Romans chapter 7.
“For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am made out of flesh, sold into sin’s power.  For I do not understand what I am doing, because I do not practice what I want to do, but I do what I hate.  And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree with the law that it is good.  So now I am no longer the one doing it, but it is sin living in me. For I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my flesh. For the desire to do what is good is with me, but there is no ability to do it.  For I do not do the good that I want to do, but I practice the evil that I do not want to do. Now if I do what I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but it is the sin that lives in me. So I discover this principle: When I want to do what is good, evil is with me. For in my inner self I joyfully agree with God’s law. But I see a different law in the parts of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and taking me prisoner to the law of sin in the parts of my body. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this dying body? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with my mind I myself am a slave to the law of God, but with my flesh, to the law of sin.” (Romans 7:14-25 HCSB)
My mask isn't always worn intentionally. The important thing to remember is God can see your intentions, he knows your heart. Job asked a question that doesn't necessarily pertain to this topic, but I thought it still fits. I find myself asking this question too, “Why do I put myself in jeopardy and take my life in my hands?” (Job 13:14 NIV) The obvious answer is I want to control my life but God is in control. If I put my mask down and give God the reigns shouldn't I be comfortable with myself? Easier said than done….so this week, I’m going to intentionally seek God and ask him to help me to put my mask down and give everything to God. And I mean everything, from my thoughts, to my actions, to my family and my friends, it’s all His anyway…so I’m going to attempt to not put myself in jeopardy. Will you? Until next time, “May Yahweh bless you and protect you.” (Numbers 6:24, HCSB)

No comments:

Post a Comment