Pages

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Worship

I’m going to start things a bit differently today. No Bible verses to start with, just a question.
What does worship mean to you?
Is it when you sing to God, fellowship with other Christians, telling others about God? Is it when you pray, how about the way you live your life? Again, I ask, what does worship mean to you?
Take a few seconds and allow yourself to think about what it truly means and what it means to you. I find that there are times I know what a word means but I don’t stop to think about it. Many times certain things, like worship becomes so much of a routine that I don’t let the meaning sink in. With that said, I will give you the two definitions of worship from dictionary.com.
Worship: 1. Reverent honor and homage paid to God or sacred personage, or to any object regarded as sacred.
 2. Formal or ceremonious rendering of such honor and homage.
Now that you have two definitions to base your answer on does it change your answer? Again, I ask, what does worship mean to you? 
In my opinion Psalm 100 paints a picture of what worship should look and sound like.
“Shout triumphantly to the LORD, all the earth.
 Serve the LORD with gladness; 
come before Him with joyful songs.
Acknowledge that Yahweh is God.
He made us, and we are His —
His people, the sheep of His pasture.
 Enter His gates with thanksgiving
and His courts with praise.
Give thanks to Him and praise His name.
 For Yahweh is good, and His love is eternal; 
His faithfulness endures through all generations.” (HCSB)
When I think of worship, Psalm 100 is what I think of.  I’m going to admit something that is rather embarrassing to me. Until recently I honestly didn’t understand why we sang in church service. Don’t get me wrong, I love that we sing and I enjoyed the music and being a person who loves to write I enjoyed the words. I guess since I didn’t grow up going to church on a regular basis the purpose of singing slipped my mind. So, if you’re like me and not real sure why you sing at church, it’s to worship God. You are singing His praises and this is also when you can invite Him to come along side you and tell you what you need to hear.  Again in Psalm 95:1-8 you can see what worship looks like and sounds like.
“Come, let us shout joyfully to the LORD, 
shout triumphantly to the rock of our salvation!
Let us enter His presence with thanksgiving; 
let us shout triumphantly to Him in song.
For the LORD is a great God, 
a great King above all gods.
The depths of the earth are in His hand, 
and the mountain peaks are His.
The sea is His; He made it.
His hands formed the dry land.
Come, let us worship and bow down; 
let us kneel before the LORD our Maker.
 For He is our God, 
and we are the people of His pasture, 
the sheep under His care.
Today, if you hear His voice: 
Do not harden your hearts as at Meribah, 
as on that day at Massah in the wilderness” (HCSB)

Allow God to speak to you and pour your heart out to Him during the time of Worship. We should be praising God constantly. There is always something to be thankful for and being sure to thank Him is important. I asked you, repeatedly, what worship means to you, so let me tell you what it means to me. Worship isn’t just the singing we do during a church service or at an event to ask God to dwell among us. Worship is praising God daily for the small and the big blessings in your life and thanking Him for the unseen blessings in your life. Worship is the way you live your life. Worship is serving God and others with a grateful heart. “Therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, I urge you to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God; this is your spiritual worship.”(Romans 12:1) We can never be thankful enough for what God has done for us. We can never worship God enough, but we can always worship God in words and actions and in our hearts. Everything we do should reflect God in our lives. Before you go to church tomorrow let me ask you one more time, what does worship mean to you? I pray that tomorrow’s worship service will touch you deeply and mean just a little more to you than it did last Sunday. I pray for those of you reading that you will feel welcome in a church, that you will feel  God’ s love pouring out on you. If you don’t know Jesus Christ as your savior may He speak to you so that you will come to know Him. If you don’t know Him as your savior please feel free to contact me or your pastor and let Jesus become your savior and friend. Until next time, “May Yahweh bless you and protect you.” (Numbers 6:24,HCSB)

No comments:

Post a Comment