Pages

Friday, July 26, 2013

Just Enough

“However, as it is written: No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him-“ 1 Corinthians 2:9 
Have you ever been in a situation that you didn't know what was next? How about financially you just couldn't see how ends were going to meet? What about that relationship that’s broken but you’re trying to mend? Maybe you’re not even sure what lie ahead in the near future because you’re making major changes in your life. I have been in each situation and honestly I’m in a couple of them right now. I find myself praying and asking God for guidance and peace. I have found that I may not get the answer I’m looking for right then but if I ask for peace I receive it immediately. God works in mysterious ways and even though I have my doubts about what’s next I know I’m in His hands. “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, and your ways are not My ways.” Isaiah 55:8 Many things have happened in my life to cause me to stop and wonder why. As I've gotten older and drawn closer to God the only answer I have is God doesn't always tell us why, but He gives us just enough to keep going.
I have heard that life is like a puzzle and I often times picture my life as a puzzle. Mainly because the path I’m on right now is puzzling, but I know I’m in God’s will so I trust in him. How many of you would agree hindsight is 20/20? I actually told my husband that exact phrase the other night when talking about one of my regrets. I look at my life as an incomplete puzzle.  Behind me is a beautiful master piece of my birth, early childhood, the teen years and my twenties, but the master piece isn't finished. Why? Well, because I’m still living. There are pieces that are missing and some that are falling into place every minute of every hour of every day. The frustrating part is I can’t see where the missing pieces go or what they even look like. Why? I’m not the one putting it together, true it’s my life and I make decisions daily but God is the true author of my life. Only He can see the bigger picture. He can see where the missing pieces go and what needs to happen now to make that happen later. Just when you feel like you’re never going to be able to make ends meet, or mend that relationship, or see what change is coming; God gives you a glimpse. He gives you an answer. A check arrives in the mail for a $150 refund and it’s enough to pay the $100 bill that’s due tomorrow. The relationship that has you upset seems to be taking a step in the right direction. You end up in the right place at the right time and you see the change is truly for the better. These are all little things that can be written off as coincidence but that’s God giving you just enough to keep going. When we finally get through the financial struggle or the change in our life we can look back and clearly see God’s hand prints in our lives.  I’m usually thankful that I didn't see the whole picture and was only given one piece at a time. Why? Two reasons, (1) I wouldn't have depended on God for anything if I could see the whole picture. (2) I wouldn't be where I am today, because I would've stopped at the first sign of struggle. The best thing about looking back is you can see how much you have grown in your faith. As I look back over the years I see times of growth and times where my faith was stagnant.
There is a lot to be learned in the Gospels. We've all heard the story of Jesus feeding thousands at a time with two fish and five loaves of bread. I took some time and read the story from John’s perspective and found it interesting that the disciples didn't think Jesus could feed thousands with so little to eat. “Another of his disciples, Andrew Simon Peter’s brother, spoke up, ‘Here is a boy with five small barley loaves and two small fish, but how far will they go among so many?” John 6:8-9 How often do we look at what we have and say how is this going to work? Do you know the rest of the story from John? Jesus took the loaves and the fish gave thanks and started passing out the food. Don’t you know the disciples were sweating it. I bet they were thinking the ones who don’t get to eat are going to stone us. I know I would've been thinking that, but look at what happened. Once everyone had eaten and was full Jesus told the disciples to pick up the rest of the food so nothing would go to waste. They had twelve baskets of bread leftover. “When they were full, He told His disciples, ‘Collect the leftovers so that nothing is wasted.’ So they collected them and filled 12 baskets with the pieces from the five barley loaves that were left over by those who had eaten.” John 6:12-13 Many times we look at our lives, at our current situation and say how can this work. When we give thanks for what we have and give it to God he will make sure there is enough. More often than not he makes sure there’s more than just enough.  So, today as you look at your life and at the situation(s) you’re in will you thank God for giving you just enough to make it through? And once you’re through it all and can look back I pray that you can see He actually gave you more than just enough.  Until next time may God Bless You and Keep You.
*Bible verses from NIV and HCSB

No comments:

Post a Comment