Pages

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Thoughts to ponder

Have you ever read a book, other than the Bible, that makes you think about your life? What about living your life for God? I just finished reading a book that has shaken me to the core. While I would love to rant on and on about this book I'm not going to. Why? Because I want you to read it for yourself, and if you would like I will let you borrow mine. I mentioned the title in my last post but I will put it here. The book that has made my mind swirl is titled "Anything the prayer that unlocked my God and my Soul". This book is written by Jennie Allen. I will put a link to her website at the bottom of this post...please check it out. I'm not sure what to write about, my mind is still swirling and to be honest I could probably write a lot. There are so many questions that she asked that made me ponder, but I'm going to pick two and share my thoughts on them. The first question: "What if my life was going so beautifully because I wasn't chasing after God?" (p.108)
    Wow, stop and read that question again. I'm sure your life, like mine isn't perfect...in fact I can name plenty of things that I would change right now if given the opportunity. Is there anything just horrible with my life...no. As a matter of fact until recently my life has been pretty laid back, kind of on a flat track. Things have been changing for me and my family, but....have I been chasing after God? Sadly, my answer to that is no. Do I go to church? Yes. Do I read my Bible? Yes. Do I live like a Christian....well the best that I can. I have been chasing this world though. I want a nicer house, and we just bought new cars almost two years ago. I want the newest technology that's out there....even though I can't afford it. The Bible clearly states we can not love this world and love God too.  "No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money. " Matthew 6:24  Here I am, thinking that I am doing what God wants me to do because my life isn't bad but really I'm not. I'm chasing after my other master....the one that provides instant gratification here on earth. The one that allows me to get what I want fairly quick. Don't get me wrong, I'm not rich, but who doesn't own some plastic these days? Have I used any of that plastic to help those in need? What do I have a lot of that others don't? By the worlds standards, or at least America's I don't have enough, or make enough or do enough. Should I be living for the world's or America's standards? Not if I am living for God. My life has truly been all about me and my family and what we want. Not until recently have I said, OK God, what do you want for my life. Which leads me to the next question that I hope will make you ponder...like it made me.  "What if we wanted what God wanted most?" (p.132)
     Hum, what does God want most? God, wants us to know him. He wants us to love him. God wants us to share him with others. So, what if I wanted what God wanted most? Would my life look like it does right now? I wish that answer was yes, but honestly I'm just barely brushing his hand. God is reaching out to me and you, but most of the time we are too busy with our lives to worry about what God wants. I want my life to be easy, but no where in the Bible does it say follow Jesus because your life will be easy...and nothing bad will ever happen. My friends,  I'm tired of chasing after this world and what it says I should have. I want to chase after God and what he wants me to have and do. I want God's love to be known and shown to others. I want God to reach out his hand and say my child walk with me. So, now that I have shared this with you. I don't want to go to heaven and be shown what I could've done or would've had here on this earth if I would've stopped and focused on what God wants. Instead of writing more, I'm going to stop...and issue you a challenge. Read the bold questions again...pray that God would show you the honest answers to those questions. I have so much more to share....but I will wait for another day. God is alive and moving in my heart friends....will you allow him to stir your heart like he has stirred mine? Let me hear from you. Until next time May God Bless you and Keep you!
* Bible verses used are from NIV.
Please look at Jennie Allen's website. I follow her blog and I have read Anything.
http://jennieallen.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment