Pages

Thursday, July 18, 2013

What are you afraid of....losing?

“He will be like a tree planted by water: it sends its roots out toward a stream, it doesn't fear when heat comes, and its foliage remains green. It will not worry in a year of drought or cease producing fruit.” Jeremiah 17:8

What comes to your mind when I ask, what do you fear? Most likely it’s snakes, heights, spiders or even germs. Maybe even bugs in general. I bet the first thing that came to your mind wasn't God. Don’t worry, I’m not judging you…to be honest fearing God isn't the first thing that comes to my mind when I’m asked what do you fear.  It is written though that we should fear God and it’s actually definition number 4 on dictionary.com.  According to dictionary.com fear is “reverential awe toward God.”  1 Samuel 12:24 says, “Above all, fear the Lord and worship Him faithfully with all your heart; consider the great things He has done for you.”  Did you know according to David in Psalm 111:10 fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom? “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow His instructions have good insight. His praise endures forever.” Psalm 111:10 I don’t know about you but fearing the Lord and wisdom don’t seem to go together. So let me put it like this, once we know that snakes bite and some are poisonous we become fearful on being bitten by a snake. In fearing God, it’s not because he will harm us but because we know the power that he possesses. We know we should fear no one or nothing except the Lord. “The Lord is my light and my salvation-whom should I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life- of whom should I be afraid?” Psalm 27:1
I’m full of questions today, so let me ask you one more question. What are you afraid of losing? This question is asked by Jennie Allen in her book, "Anything.” This question has made me think about what I fear and what can I do to change that. The definition of afraid is “feeling fear; filled with apprehension.” So what do I fear losing? The first thing that I fear losing is my kids and then my husband. The one thing that gives me peace and calms my fear is knowing that God loves them more than I do and I will never be able to love them more than Him. After all, God is love, and no matter how hard I try I can’t love them more than a being that is love. With that thought in mind, I will ask again, what are you afraid of losing? Most people would say family, friends, career and belongings (i.e. home, car, and phone :) ) My view on this question has started to change. Why? Because I know that one, God loves me, my family, and my friends and two; my belongings are just things. They can be replaced if lost. Jennie Allen asks this question to point out that we need to pray about giving whatever or whomever it is we are afraid of losing to God. In other words, give your relationships to God, give your house to God, and give your job to God. Start living for God, and showing God’s love to others. Do not be afraid of people or losing them. Be afraid of what will happen if you did not show them God’s love and they were to die. Be afraid of the one who can condemn them. Luke says it pretty bluntly in the Bible, “But I will show you the One to fear: Fear Him who has authority to throw people into hell after death. Yes, I say to you, this is the One to fear!” Luke 12:5 I’m not saying this to scare you or cause you to repent…which I hope you would repent if you feel led to do so. I’m saying this to open your eyes like Jennie did mine. What if we gave God our fears, and asked for courage to show His love to others? My friends, that’s what I want to do. I want to live a life that shows others God’s love. I want to leave a legacy that points to God; not a legacy that points to the things I collected here on earth. Do I want the things of this world yes, but do I want others to know God more than I want those things….YES!!! I can’t sit here and say that happened over night, because it has happened over time. My thoughts about this life and why I’m really here has changed. I pray that it continues to change and that some way, somehow me writing this silly blog can open your eyes…to see or at least make you start to think about why you are here and how you can live for God and how much He really loves you. As I mentioned last week, change isn't easy and fear is one of the biggest setbacks. “The fear of man is a snare, but the one who trusts in the Lord is protected.” Proverbs 29:25 Will your loved ones die? Yes. Will you lose your house to a fire, flood or tornado? Possibly. Can you rest at night knowing that you are in the loving arms of your Father? I sure hope so. If you truly love God and want to do His will….start by giving Him your fear and what you are afraid of losing. You can do it, step by step...day by day...moment by moment. Then live like you’re not afraid of losing it because God has so much more in store for you…if you’ll give it to Him. Be like the tree in the bold verse above, allow God to supply ALL your needs and let Him worry with ALL your troubles. He will sustain you in everything. His blessings are more abundant than we could ever imagine. Letting go and giving God your fears and asking for the courage to make the change to live for God is scary, but O, how this world would change if we all made a point of living it for HIM. I apologize for this post being so long…sadly, it could be longer, but I know a little boy who wants to spend some time with his mommy.  Until next time, may God Bless you and Keep you.
* Bible verses used are from HCSB
* Definitions are from dictionary.com

No comments:

Post a Comment