Pages

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

You are not alone

       Alone, this word makes me sad. This is because I have felt alone most of my life.  I struggle with being alone because that’s when my negative thoughts tend to take over. Let me share the definitions of alone from Merriam-Webster.com:
    1. Without anyone or anything else: not involving or including anyone or anything else: separate from other people or things.
    2. Without people that you know or that usually are with you
    3. Feeling unhappy because of being separated from other people.
      I’m not going to sit here and say I don’t like being alone because there are times that I love being alone. When I am alone though, I know I have to guard my mind. The devil likes it when I’m alone because I tend to get caught in his traps of negative thoughts and doubtful thinking. Fortunately, I am able to recognize the lies quicker than I use to. (I still struggle but not as much as I use to) The devil wants you to believe you are alone but God tells us differently. God says, “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” (Deuteronomy 31:6) God said it to Joshua when the Israelites were to go into the Promised Land and He means it for us today.
      Even when you are alone, without another person physically around you; you are not alone. Jesus is with you. We may feel we have no one who understands us but we have Jesus. I use to be upset when others would say, “I know; I’ve had that happen to me.” I was upset because I wanted to be alone in my struggle. This is what the devil wants for you too. He wants you to feel alone and hopeless. If we believe no one knows what I’m going through then we get lost in our sorrows. Now that I’m older and closer to God, I am glad to hear someone else struggles with the same thing or things as me. Why? It’s not because I’m cruel and excited they struggle. No, it’s because I know on some level they will understand what I’m going through. They can help me, listen to me and most importantly pray for me. God did not create us to live like islands on this earth, although I would be much more comfortable if He did. He created us to need each other. We are to carry each other’s burdens.  “Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.” (Galatians 6:2) God puts people in our lives for a reason. Jennie Allen says, “Every one of us has people in our lives whom we need and people who need us.” (Restless, p. 131) We need both types of people so we son't feel alone and also to keep us balanced. I am so thankful that I am never alone. I am at a point in my life where I am intentionally looking for people to join me in my journey. This is mainly because God keeps pointing people out to me and pushing me towards them. (I’m not always eager about this) I can’t say it any better than Jennie Allen:
“We need people who will put their fingers under our chins and lift our heads. I need people ahead of me, shouting back it is worth it. I need deep, kindred souls beside me, making the run more fun and helping me not to feel crazy and alone.” (Restless, p.132)

    I, like Jennie, need these different people in my life. I have been trusting God in pointing these people out to me. I can’t say I know which one they are for sure, but I listen carefully to His voice directing me to these people. Do you have these people in your life? Do you make time for the new people God puts in your life? Do you reach back to encourage others? Do you shout ahead for hope and encouragement? Do you wrap your arms around those beside you? We all need to be pushed, pulled and supported. It’s the only way to ensure that being alone doesn’t take over. Until next time, “May Yahweh bless you and protect you.” (Numbers 6:24, HCSB)

No comments:

Post a Comment