Pages

Friday, September 6, 2013

If I didn't have...

“If the Lord had not been on our side-let Israel say-“  Psalm 124:1 

I had the privilege of going to a Beth Moore conference a couple of weekends ago. I have never been to one, but I can say that I hope to go back to one. This conference was very moving and she challenged us to share our testimony. She gave us the first verse of Psalm 124 and said write some sentences to complete the verse. So I’m going to start with my sentences and who knows where it will go from there. Please stick with me til the end.
                              If the Lord had not been on my side I wouldn't be here.
                   If the Lord had not been on my side I would still be in the dark pit of depression.
         If the Lord had not been on my side I would've succumbed to alcohol and probably drugs.
                  If the Lord had not been on my side I wouldn't have the life I have today.
                    If the Lord had not been on my side I wouldn't have my husband.
                If the Lord had not been on my side I wouldn't have my two blessings from above.

You can look at my previous statements and assume a lot of things, but be careful in doing so. The first statement is pretty obvious and yes I will admit there was a point in my life that I didn't think I worse worth anything and considered suicide. That statement leads to my next statement about depression. I have fought depression off and on since I was a teenager. I can say that I have overcome depression, but there are days when the darkness tries to sneak back in. When you are depressed you are tempted to ease the pain with alcohol or drugs. I have not drunk since my wedding night and I do not plan on doing so. I have nothing against those who drink, I choose not to for my own reasons. I have never used drugs other than those prescribed by a doctor. So, my third statement isn't because I used alcohol and drugs but rather the availability I had to them. The last three statements are full of life and blessings. So, in six sentences you get a drift of my life and how it was and how it is today. You also see how it could have been and how it could be today. The only reason, my friend; that I can say I am here, I am not depressed,  and I did not choose to ease my pain with alcohol and drugs is because I have the Lord on my side. I cried out to Jesus and He heard me and He saved me. “This poor man called and the Lord heard him; he saved him out of all his troubles.” Psalm 34:6 In this verse poor doesn't mean without money, but poor as in he knew he was in trouble and couldn't be saved by his own doings.(explanation from NIV) When you reach that point in your life and you cry out, Jesus will save you. My life wasn't fixed in the blink of an eye when I cried out to Jesus. As a matter of fact I still cry out to Jesus and He still answers me. What did happen was a change inside that made me want to live and keep going and to never give up until He calls me home. I lean on the Lord because He is my strength. “The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. He is my God and I will praise him, my father’s God, and I will exalt him.” Exodus 15:2 You can scan the Bible in the books of Psalm and Proverbs and find several times where it mentions God is my strength. There is a reason for that, and I can attest that when times get tough He is the only thing that keeps me going.
In Exodus it states that God is my salvation and many times when a Christian believes in God they say I am saved. I decided to look up salvation and saved to see if I could picture in my mind what God has done for me. I’m going to give you the first definition for each word then the Theological definition for each word. According to dictionary.com, salvation is the act of saving or protecting from harm, risk, loss, destruction, etc. The Theological definition says salvation is the deliverance from the power and penalty of sin; redemption.  When you look at my statements from above again and I tell you God is my salvation. I am really saying….
               If the Lord had not been on my side I wouldn't be here. (God protected me from killing myself.)
               If the Lord had not been on my side I would still be in the dark pit of depression.
                                              (God saved me from depression.)
               If the Lord had not been on my side I would've succumbed to alcohol and probably drugs.
                                   (God protected me from wanting to use alcohol and drugs.)

My eyes have been opened and my mind can see what God has really done for me. When I say I am saved. I’m not saying that I am safe from harm or disease or evil here on this earth. I am saying God saved me from giving in to the sinful temptations of my past and he has saved me from the fiery depths of hell. The word saved according to dictionary.com means to rescue from danger or possible harm, injury, or loss. The Theological definition of saved is to deliver from the power and consequences of sin. The consequence of sin is death and if you are not saved; you don’t believe that Jesus died for you and you die, you will go to hell. This is what I mean when I say I am saved. I have eternal life because I called on the name of Jesus and believed that he died on the cross for ALL my sins. He didn't die for the sins I committed before I believed or the sins that I commit as a believer. No, He died so that ALL of my sins are washed away. (Yes, I just admitted I sin. Unfortunately, I sin a lot more than I would like to admit to.) I’m not perfect…ssshhhh…don’t tell anybody. ;) There is only one name you can call on and be saved and it’s not batman or superman or daddy. The only name that can save you from eternal damnation is Jesus Christ. “Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.” Acts 4:12 As I start winding this up, I hope you can see why I call God my salvation. You have just read a summary of my testimony.(Thanks Beth Moore) Yes, there is more, but instead of me going on and on I want to challenge you to finish the first verse from Psalm 124 “If the Lord had not been on my side…..” . What would your life be like? Where would you be? Once you write them down share them with someone. I know it’s scary to share with others, but as I mentioned last week a sense of healing and understanding happens when we share our testimony. I would love to hear your testimony, but the important thing is to realize where God has brought us from and Praise Him. I want you to remember this, “For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.” 1 Corinthians 1:18 You are sharing the power of God when you become brave and step out of your comfort zone and share. Until next time, May Yahweh bless you and protect you.” Numbers 6:24
*Bible verses taken from NIV and HCSB

No comments:

Post a Comment