Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

The gift that keeps on giving

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given,  and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:6

My family and I have started decorating for Christmas but it's taking longer than what I would like. We have something going on almost every night of the week and sometimes more than one thing for the night. I know it's all part of being a mom of two little kids and being married to a band director, but I like to slow down and enjoy the decorating not just throw it up so we can say we did it. As I sat on the living room floor going through our decorations I began thinking of how silly we can be this time of year. The whole reason we celebrate Christmas is to recognize the birth of our savior but, we get so caught up in the shopping and the decorations it tends to take away from the birth of Jesus Christ. I got up from my spot on the floor and posted the following on facebook: "Sometimes I don't like this time of year because people are so consumed with what they want. It is better to give than to receive but honestly we can't out give what's already been given to us through the birth of Jesus, his life on earth, and his death when he conquered the grave. Share the good news this Christmas....you might introduce someone to a gift that lasts for an eternity." I, like everyone else, tend to get caught up in the giving of gifts and the decorations. This year I have a burden to give more than I have in years past. I have already given but will continue to give. I can give with money but more importantly I can give my time. I want to start a family tradition and that is to give as much as we can all the time not just during Christmas. The truth is God gave us his son so we could have everlasting life with him in heaven and there is no greater gift than that. I can't out give my God and savior but I can give money and time to those who need it and I can share the story of my savior Jesus Christ. Although I can't give the gift that keeps on giving I can introduce people to the one gift that will not only change your life today but for eternity. I plan on focusing more on the babe in the manger than all the hustle and bustle. As you go about your days planning please set time aside to visit with your friends and family and let them know how much they mean to you. Don't wait for the holidays to pass so you're not so busy, the truth is we are busy all the time. Give however you can give to those in need, either by donating money or time and watch the Christmas spirit come alive. Rejoice that you have the gift that keeps on giving and introduce others to that gift. Praise be to God in the highest! Until next time may God bless you and keep you.
*Bible verse taken from NIV Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment