Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2022

Busy

Tired? 

Overwhelmed?


Stressed?


Me too! It’s just the “busy” time of year, at least that is what I keep telling myself. I’ve had several friends ask me recently to pray that they are able to focus on what’s most important in their lives and not get caught up in the rush of life, or the things that can distract them from the important things in their lives. We all tend to take on more than we should, and when we do we become tired, overwhelmed, and stressed. God didn’t create us to live life the way most Americans do. We rush around all the time trying to get so much accomplished, take our kids to everything, and still maintain our health; yet we don’t realize the negative effect that being busy can have on our health holistically. 

This time of year brings excitement, fun, and a sense of community, but it can be overwhelming when we don’t allow ourselves the time to rest, recover, and unwind from the constant coming and going from all the activities we attend. There is nothing wrong with enjoying this time of year and all the activities, but it can hurt us if we don’t slow down enough to spend quality time with God and our family. Our focus shifts from God and family to what event is next, and before we know it a month has gone by without any quality time with God or our family. 

If you’re like me, you become cranky and snippy, then you wonder why no one is talking to you or wants to be around you. I have noticed I need my sleep to function and to stay in a good mood. I also need time to be still, let go of the daily stresses (which I’m not good at letting go of), and rest in God’s presence. I prefer to be outside because it helps me to relax and I connect with God more when I’m outside enjoying His creation, but my schedule doesn’t always allow that. I do my best to set aside time every morning to read my devotional and scripture, pray, and then start my day. I find that I am less cranky or not cranky at all after spending time with God and I’m much more likely to be an encouragement to others.

When you start to feel tired, overwhelmed and stressed; slow down, take a deep breath, and talk to God. Even in our busiest seasons of life God is there and is happy that we are enjoying life, but he created us to need to rest. Ask Him what you can let go of, or say no to so you slow down and stay focused on the important things in your life. Don’t become so caught up in the hustle and bustle of this time of year that you forget about God and your family. You don’t have to say yes to everything you’re invited to. Make God a priority and everything else will fall into place. Live in the moment, don't live for the moments. Remember… one breath at a time, one step at a time, one day at a time. “I lift up my eyes to the mountains. Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth.” Psalm 121:1-2


No comments:

Post a Comment