Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2022

Why The Donkey?



 I’ve been preparing room in my heart for Jesus this season. Today, as I was reading my devotional, my thoughts shifted from Jesus’ birth to the animal thought to carry Mary to Bethlehem and Jesus to Jerusalem. Yes, I’m talking about the donkey. I couldn’t help but think about Donkey from Shrek when I pictured the donkey, but after a quick giggle, my thoughts returned to Mary, Joseph, and their journey to Bethlehem. Donkeys are supposedly very stubborn, so why the donkey? What is the significance of Mary riding a donkey to deliver the savior of the world? 


Here’s a little tidbit that I found out about donkeys while digging to see why Joseph would put Mary on a stubborn donkey. These little guys are cute, but did you know they can weigh up to 500 pounds? Donkeys are used as pack animals; meaning that they carry goods for their owners. These animals tend to get a bad reputation for being stubborn when in all actuality they are cautious. They will stop and assess the situation when they sense they are in danger. The donkey refuses to move even when its owner tries to get it to move until it feels safe, hence the perception of stubbornness. Could it be that the donkey was the safest and most trustworthy animal to ride; especially for Mary who was nine months pregnant with the savior of the world?


The donkey prefers to walk, not run because it is very cautious about its steps and is acutely aware of its surroundings. This seemingly stubborn animal is actually not stubborn but an overthinker of sorts. I can picture the donkey plodding along the trail carrying Mary on its back being sure to not stumble. The awareness and pace of a donkey indicate that it was the perfect animal for Mary to ride for her journey to Bethlehem. 


The donkey was tasked to carry Mary to Bethelem so she could give birth to our Savior who to this day is still misunderstood. The takeaway from what I’ve learned from my tangent on donkeys is they are misunderstood; therefore they have a reputation for being stubborn and not an animal that people want to be around. I believe if you talk to someone who owns and understands a donkey they will tell you that they are loveable creatures that are simply misunderstood. 


Jesus was misunderstood, but those who spent time with him while he was on this earth realized he was something special. I don’t feel right comparing Jesus to a donkey, but it’s hard for me to not make this connection. The donkey is misunderstood and comes across as rebellious and stubborn to someone who doesn’t understand the creature. When the donkey is more reliable and trustworthy than a horse when it comes to carrying something important. Jesus seemed rebellious to the Pharisees and Sadducees, but he was the most trustworthy of all men. Jesus was carrying with him the message of hope and redemption, but he was most definitely misunderstood. 


I’m not sure of the significance of the donkey, and the last thing I want to do is make something out of nothing especially when it comes to the Bible. I’m not a theologian nor do I claim to know all the symbolism throughout the Bible. I hope this gave you some food for thought. I have a few more questions to leave you with as you ponder the significance of the donkey. How can we be more like a donkey? No, I don’t mean stubborn, as my family will tell you I’m already good in that department. How about being more trustworthy, and doing things in a calculated way that may seem odd to others but brings glory to God? After all, as Christians, we should stand out. Blessings to you my friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment