Pages

Friday, January 3, 2020

Word for 2020

"Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things." Colossians 3:2

     Before I could settle on a word or allow myself to accept my word for 2020 I needed to reflect on my word for 2019. As I sat back in my chair and allowed myself to think of the entire year I laughed at the word/phrase God gave me. Giggling, I told God, you told me to be still and you showed me how to be still and rely on you at the beginning of the year with buying a new home. As the year progressed I began to realize what be still meant, or at least I thought. Then August hit, and a whole new meaning of be still came to play when my brother passed away. In my grieving, I was still, sometimes too still, but I never lost hope or my faith. I kept telling myself that God's ways are not my ways and that by being still I would get through this dark valley in my life. I'm thankful that God put that phrase on my heart this time last year, and for the lessons He taught me. I'm looking forward to the new year and what God has in store for me and my family.
     My word for 2020 is FOCUS. Focus seems like such a cliche, but as I accepted the word God put on my heart and knowing the lessons I learned from this past year I had some questions about focusing and being successful with incorporating such a word in my life. I mean after all I seem to be a pretty focused person, well, until four months ago. So, me being the writer that I am, and a teacher I sat down and asked God to show me the answers to the following six questions.

     Who should I FOCUS on?
Of course, I know that I should focus on God first and in all things and all ways, but what next? I am going to focus on Christ by seeking the Kingdom of God first, then I will focus on Nick by supporting and praying for him. Next in line of course are my kids, I will guide, support, and pray for them. Last, but certainly no least, I am going to focus on myself by doing things to help my health holistically. I will do things to ensure that my mental, physical, and spiritual health are being taken care of to the best of my ability.

     What should I FOCUS on?
There's three answers to this question. 1) I should focus on my thoughts. "Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable-if there is any moral excellence and if there is any praise-dwell on these things." (Philippians 4:8) 2) I should focus on my actions. "Commit your activities to the Lord, and your plans will be achieved." (Proverbs 16:3) 3) I should focus on my words. "No foul language is to come from your mouth, but only what is good for building up someone in need, so that it gives grace to those who hear." ( Ephesians 4:29)

     When should I FOCUS?
The answer to this question seems to be simple...I should focus at all times. This will keep me busy..right.

     Where should I FOCUS?
The first place I should focus is at HOME! "Teach a youth about the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it." (Proverbs 22:6) I need to set a routine that shows my family that I am putting Christ first, then Nick and the kids and by taking care of myself. Our kids learn by our actions more than they learn by our words. Then I should focus at work and make sure Christ stays first. This should carry into wherever I go. I should be so focused on Christ no matter where I am others will notice His light or at least that something is different.

     Why should I FOCUS?
God revealed to me three verses to help me answer this question. I am a worrier, born and bred and I get it quite honestly from my grandmother. I should focus on God to remember that He will always take care of me. God pointed me to Matthew 6:33, and though it is not the do not worry verse from Matthew, God showed me this verse to help me see that if I focus on Him all the above mentioned things will be provided for me. Another reason why I should focus on God is to stay close to Him because the devil is looking for ways to make me stumble. "Be serious! Be alert! Your adversary the Devil is prowling like a roaring lion, looking for anyone he can devour." (1 Peter 5:8) The last answer that God gave me was because I am made to bring God glory, and if I don't focus on Him then I will not be the person I was created to be nor will I bring Him glory. People are watching and so I should be so focused on God that I don't notice they are watching, but they notice Christ in me. (Hebrews 12:1-2)

     How should I FOCUS?
The best way to stay focused is to be in God's word daily. There is nothing that the Bible can't help me handle. "All Scripture is inspired by God and is profitable for teaching, for rebuking, for correcting, for training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work." (2 Timothy 3:16-17)

     As the new year starts and all  the excitement fades into the mundane of life I pray that I am able to stay focused on God. No matter what happens in 2020 I will do my best to remain focused on God. When I stay focused on God I will at times have to be still just so I can focus and hear what He is telling  me. May God bless you throughout this year! "Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things." Colossians 3:2

No comments:

Post a Comment